Sales Managers: A good old sales contest can help you achieve goals
If you’re looking to get the sales team fired up, develop a sales contest.
Over the years I’ve seen a variety of contest that created revenue and profit when you need it most. In today’s economy I doubt that many companies other than banks, hedge funds can offer the types of prizes that we saw in the 90’s but you can offer things that the team feels are valuable, so why not find out what excites them and if you concur go from there. Some things they may want: cash, iPad, a long weekend, a day at a spa, gym time, smartphone or individual sales or sales management training.
Since high achievers generally win sales contest, consider designing one that includes and engages all.
Things to think about:
1. Don’t ask for the impossible – don’t ask for things that can’t be achieved
2. Be crystal clear on how the contest works,
3. Make sure you discuss how long the contest lasts – Remember sales folks get ADD after 30 minutes and will move on to something else
4. Emphasize who gets rewarded and for what
5. Keep the team posted on the progress of the contest –make sure it’s frequently
6. Let team know the date when the prize will be rewarded – preferably when contest is announced